General Insurance Tips
The insurance coverage for your business, home or recreational property may change from time to time. Van Helden Agencies will use our web site to keep you abreast of any developments, as well as tips for how you can reduce your risk of loss or damage.
Keeping a listing of your contents may not seem important now, but if you ever need to refer to them, it can save you a great deal of time and stress when it comes to making a claim.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can you protect yourself better?
Methods to protect yourself include:
- If an item has a serial number, be sure to record it.
- Photos and videotapes are particularly valuable for describing rare and valuable articles.
- All records should be kept in an off-site location to ensure their safety.
- A safety deposit box is usually your safest bet.
- Always remember when a loss occurs it is the insured’s responsibility to mitigate further loss. For instance, if your house is broken into it is your immediate responsibility to replace the damaged door or window to prevent further loss.
- Call us as soon as possible to report the claim.
How much deductible should I get?
The deductible amount is the initial payment that you are responsible for in the event of a loss. The selection of deductibles can transfer risk to the insurer and help save premium. This saved premium acts as a reserve for a future loss. After this initial payment, the insurer provides the remaining settlement. The selection of higher deductibles saves premium.